Preaload Image

The information on this page will help you to:

  • Understand the visa conditions relating to working while studying, and
  • Apply for permission to work on a student visa.


How to apply for working permission

  • You may apply for work permission through the Department of Immigration online.
  • You may also visit the Department of Immigration.


Maximum working hours permitted

If you get permission to work, there will be restrictions on the number of hours you will be allowed to work in a week. The following table describes the maximum work hours permitted after a permission to work visa has been granted.


If you are granted permission to work as a … Then you may work for …
(condition 8105)
a maximum of 40 hours every two weeks during the term, not including work that is a formal registered part of your course, and unlimited hours during recognised periods of vacation.
Member of a student’s family (condition 8104) a maximum of 40 hours every two weeks throughout the year for the duration of your visa.
Member of a family unit under visa subclass:
574 (masters or doctorate course), or
576 (AusAID or Defence-sponsored)
a maximum of 40 hours every two weeks at all times (condition 8104), when you are studying any preliminary course, or
unlimited hours, if you apply for permission to work after you start your masters or doctorate course


Volunteer work/unpaid work

If you volunteer or take part in unpaid work, then you still must apply for permission to work. Any volunteer or unpaid work counts towards the limit of 40 hours every two weeks.


Tax File Number

To work in Australia, you need a Tax File Number (TFN). You can get a TFN through the Australian Tax Office website.