CRICOS Course Code: 059871K Campus location: Sydney
Duration: 12 weeks
Fees: Please refer to our Price List.
Course Aim: The IELTS Preparation course aims to:
- to provide students with specific information about the IELTS test, about its length, how it is conducted and structured, what kinds of questions there are, and how it is assessed
- to give students advice about how to manage the test as successfully as possible as well as provide them with tips that will help them to complete the test within the time allowed and to get the best mark possible
- to help students develop new critical thinking skills and reflective learning strategies in order to become more analytical and effective learners
- to improve students’ academic and general English language skills
- to equip students with the skills and knowledge to take the IELTS examination (general or academic)
By the end of the course students will be able to:
- Understand up-to-date information on what is in the IELTS Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking Tests
- Appreciate how IELTS candidates are assessed
- Use and apply specific skills and strategies for the IELTS tests
- Comprehend general and specific ideas contained in spoken and written texts
- Think critically and analytically
- Engage in IELTS topics for conversation: talk about themselves, their family, friends and homeland, natural environment, communication and technology
- Infer meaning from spoken and written texts
- Use strategies to help with unknown vocabulary
- Provide a written description of graphs and tables
- Write short essays on current affairs and human issues
- Deliver group seminars
Entry Requirements: IELTS 5, Cambridge FCE, TOEFL 235, CEF B2, completion of English course at Intermediate level
This course is delivered off-the-job, on campus, face to face. It has theory classes and practical sessions involving small groups and individual activities.
Each class uses class sets of learning material. Students are given assessment requirements at the commencement of the course, and the assessment materials at the teacher’s discretion.
The course is based on the Focus on IELTS course book together with the supplementary Focus on Academic Skills for IELTS course book. Focus on IELTS provides a professionally written and comprehensive IELTS preparation course. The course book provides ample opportunities for students to practice the skills and tasks necessary to undertake the IELTS examination.
The course book program is supplemented by related teacher-developed extension tasks. This material is sourced from supplementary IELTS resources as well as original material.
Assessment during the course is conducted on a weekly basis. The course program incorporates practice tests and tasks specific to IELTS examinations and students are given both oral and written feedback on their results.
On successful completion of the IELTS course, students receive a certificate stating the general English level attained by the end of the course.
There are colleges and universities that accept Mercury’s assessment of a student’s level of English. Please speak to one of our Marketing Managers to learn more.