Preaload Image

This section will hopefully answer some of your questions. If you still need more information, please contact the appropriate department.

1. How do I apply for entry into Mercury College?

Complete an application form and send it to the college
Postal Address: Level 1, 245 Castlereagh Street, Sydney NSW 2000 Australia

2. What facilities do you offer?

We provide computers in classrooms and also free wifi and there are kitchens on each floor.

3. Does Mercury have agreements with Australian universities?

Yes, Mercury Colleges has agreements with some Australian universities and colleges that offer bachelor degrees.

These agreements give you advanced standing for particular subjects after you have finished Mercury’s Diploma of Management.

Please contact us if you have any questions about this.

4. Can I work in Sydney?

Your student visa allows you to work 40 hours a fortnight. Many of our students find a job in restaurants or hotels. Many others are working as cleaners and in convenience stores. Professional work is much harder to get because your student visa only allows you to work 40 hours a fortnight. Australia has rules about how much you must be paid. If you are not being paid correctly, contact the NSW Ombudsman.

Please go to to learn about working conditions.

5. How many hours a day should I study?

If you are on a student visa, you must come to class 20 hours per week.

6. Is it possible to live on campus?

No. Mercury College does not have accommodation but we can help you find accommodation. A Student House and Homestay are available.

7. Can I pay by credit card?

Yes. All you have to do is to fill out our credit card payment form. However, please remember that there is a surcharge of 2%.

8. Can I extend my visa in Australia?

Yes, if your course runs for more than 10 months. It costs between $AUD350 – $450 to extend.

9. What is the length of the course?

Business courses are for either 6 or 9 months. BSB30112 Certificate III in Business is for 6 months and BSB40212 Certificate IV in Business and BSB 51107 Diploma of Management are for 9 months each.

10. Can I pay by installments?

Yes for Business courses. No for English courses.

11. I have already done some of these subjects at another college, or at work. Do I need to study these parts of the course again?

No. You can apply for RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) if it is based on your work experience and for Course Credit if it is based on studies completed at another Australian RTO. A student visa might be shortened if RPL or course credit shortens a course. To get a course credit, you need to have exactly the same course and/or unit codes that Mercury has on its scope.

12. How do you timetable the courses?

The timetable allows for classes two times during the day: Morning and Evening. However, we will soon have an afternoon timetable too.

13. Do I need an IELTS score to get into Mercury's Business courses?

To study Business courses you need an IELTS score of 5.5. You don’t need this exam if you have studied in Mercury’s English course and finished as an Intermediate, or if you have an English certificate at Upper Intermediate level from another English language college. Also, your English can be tested by the Academic Manager at the College.

14. How long can I study on a student visa?

The length of visa will depend on the total length of the course.

15. Do I need a visa to study in Australia?

Yes. To get a student visa you must complete a visa application form, lodge it & pay the visa application charge. For more information about student visas please visit

16. Can I apply for a student visa online?

Maybe. It depends on your country. Go to for more information.

If you have any other questions please email us at

17. I already have my student visa. What does the coding mean on the visa document?

The codes on your visa tell us what you can and can’t do. To learn more, go to

18. How long can I study on a tourist visa or a visitor visa?

You can study for up to 3 months full-time or part-time.

19. Can I apply for a tourist visa over the Internet?

Depending on the passport that you hold, you can apply for a tourist visa online. Go to to learn more.

20. Can I extend my stay in Australia?

No, if your visa says ‘No Further Stay’. Maybe, if it does not. Apply for a new visa before the old one finishes. You are dealing with government so apply many weeks before your visa finishes.

21. Do Australian students have to pay tuition fees?

Yes. Everyone must pay tuition fees. Private colleges get no money from the government.

22. When can I begin my course?

On this website, go to Enrolment/Academic Calendar.

23. I have a student visa. Can I have holidays?

Yes and No.

The Business courses have four terms every year with ten weeks in each term. There are holidays between terms for three weeks. It is troubling to have holidays during term. How can you finish the course if you do not come to class? The reason for the holiday must be a reason that makes it not a holiday – for example the death of a parent.

You can only take a holiday during an English course, if you tell us when you are enrolling – not after. There are no refunds for time off.

24. Will I get a student ID card from Mercury?

On your first day at our college at Orientation, we will give you a student ID card. You can use your student card to get student discounts for some cinemas, theatres, museums, aquariums, art galleries etc. but not public transport.

25. Can the college help me open a bank account?

Yes. We will give you with a letter. The letter says that you are a Mercury student. It will have your name, address in Sydney, date of birth, and course dates. You will need to take this letter and your passport to the bank.

26. What should I do if I get sick and need to go to the doctor?

There is a medical centre across the street from the College. Google Sydney medical centres to find more. If you want a doctor speaking your own language, you can contact your country’s consulate. They can help you. For more information go to

27. Can I get student discounts on transport (buses, trains, ferries etc.)?

No, only Australian students get discounts on Sydney transport.

28. What can I do in my spare-time?

Sydney offers great experiences and tourist attractions many of them within walking distance of your College.  You are sure to find lots of interests in Sydney. For more info visit  Attractions such as Darling Harbour, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House are only a short walk from the College.

29. How much money do I need every month for living expenses?

Students usually need $A1500 – $A2000 each month to cover accommodation, transport, food, medicine and entertainment. This does not include air travel, insurance or tuition fees.

30. What's the weather like in Sydney?

Summer (December – February), Autumn (March – May), Winter (June – August) and Spring (September – November).  Generally Sydney weather is good all year round. For the current weather conditions in Australia, go to

31. Can I use Internet services at your college?

Yes, you can. Our wifi is free.

32. What are the classrooms facilities like?

The College is air-conditioned and most classrooms have computers.

33. Who are the teachers at your college?

Our teachers are Australian, American, British, Canadian, South African, Irish or New Zealanders, all speaking English perfectly.

34. How can I pay my fees?

You can pay fees by:

  • Direct Deposit
  • Telegraphic Transfer
  • Credit Card – Visa, Mastercard, or Bankcard
  • Bank draft or bank cheque.

35. Are my tuition fees secure?

Yes. As soon as you pay your tuition fees they are held in a trust account until you start the course.

36. Can I study part-time?

Yes. But not if you are on a student visa.

37. Can I bring my family with me?

If your course is 2 months or more, most visas allow international students to bring their family to Australia. Your family is your husband or wife and your children. They are called “your dependents”.

If you want to bring your dependents with you to Australia, there are specific arrangements for your family visas and living arrangements. Go to for more information.

Your children have to go to an Australian school and you must pay their tuition fees.

38. Do I have to pay for health insurance?

If you are on a student visa, you must have health insurance and pay the Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC) when you pay your College fees. The College then pays the insurance company for you.  Go to for more information.

39. Can I change my visa when I am in Australia?

Yes you can. Go to for more information.

40. Can I leave Australia and re-enter?

It depends on your visa.

41. How do I apply for a student visa?

First give us your Mercury application form completed. Then we will give a Letter of Offer. Then pay the fees. We then give you Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). Take this CoE to the Australian embassy and apply for a student visa. For more information go to

42. Where do Mercury students come from?

  • from South America (Chile, Argentina, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela & Brazil);
  • from North America (Mexico);
  • from the Middle East (Jordan);
  • from South Asia (India, Pakistan, Nepal & Bangladesh);
  • from East Asia (Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and the Philippines); and
  • from Europe (Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Estonia, Lithuania, Hungary, Greece, Slovakia, Italy, Spain and the Czech Republic).

43. What is Sydney's time difference?

Standard Time GMT + 10