FAQ's for Students

This section will hopefully answer some of your questions. If you still need more information, please contact the appropriate department.

1. How do I apply for entry into Mercury College? 

Complete an application form and send it to the college
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Postal Address: Level 1, 245 Castlereagh Street, Sydney NSW 2000 Australia

2. What facilities do you offer?

We provide computers in classrooms and also free Wireless internet access service.
• Kitchenettes.
• Self study areas.
• Computer self access and Internet facilities.

3. Does Mercury Colleges have agreements with Australian Universities?

Yes, Mercury Colleges has agreements with some Australian Universities.

These agreements entitle you for advanced standing for particular subjects once you have done the Diploma of Management Course at Mercury Colleges. 
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any inquiries.

4. Can I get a job in Sydney? 

Your student visa allows you to work 40 hours a fortnight. Many of our students find a job in restaurants or hotels. Professional work is much harder to get because your student visa only allows you to work 40 hours a fortnight.

5. How many hours a day should I study?

International students are required by the Department of Immigration to be on campus for 20 hours per week.

6. Is it possible to live on campus?

No. Mercury College does not offer living facilities. However, we can assist you in finding other accommodation during your stay. Student House and Homestay are available.

7. Can I pay by credit card?

Yes. All you have to do is to fill out our credit card payment form. However, please remember that there is a surcharge of 2%.

8. Can I extend my visa in Australia?

Yes, if your course runs for more than 10 months. It costs between $AUD350 - $450 to extend.

9. What is the length of the course?

Vocational Courses vary from 6 months (for a Certificate III) to 9 months (for a Certificate IV and for a Diploma).

10. Can I pay by installments?

Yes for Business Courses. No for English courses.

11. I have already done some of these subjects at another college, or at work. Do I need to study these parts of the course again?

No. You can apply for RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) if it is based on your work experience and for Course Credit if it is based on studies completed at another Australian RTO.

12. How do you timetable the courses?

The timetable allows for classes two times during the day: Morning and Evening.

13. Do I need to do an IELTS exam to get into VET programs?

To study Business courses you need an IELTS score of 5.5. You don't need this exam if you have studied at Mercury College in the English course, or if you can produce an English certificate that you have received from an approved/provisionally accredited English college and you achieved Upper-Intermediate Level.

14. How long can I study on a student visa? 

The length of visa will be dependent on the total length of the course.

15. Do I need a visa to study in Australia? 

Yes. To be granted a student visa you must complete a visa application form, lodge it & pay the visa application charge. For more information about student visas please visit www.immi.gov.au 

16. Can I work in Australia while I study? 

Yes. International students in Australia on a student visa can apply for permission to work up to 20 hours a week during course time and full-time during vacation periods. Please visit the www.immi.gov.au/students/students/working_while_studying/index.htm page on the Australian Immigration website to find out about conditions for working while studying and how to apply for permission to work.

17. I have obtained my student visa. What does the entire coding mean on the visa document? 

Your visa must satisfy the visa requirements and comply with a number of visa conditions for attendance and academic performance. Your Student Visa will list the conditions that apply specifically to you. Descriptions of common student visa conditions can be found in the www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/50students.htm factsheet on the Australian Immigration website. It is important to comply with your visa conditions to avoid cancellation of your visa.

18. How long can I study on a tourist/visitor visa? 

You can study for up to 3 months full-time or part-time.

19. Can I apply for a tourist visa over the Internet? 

Depending on the passport that you hold, you may be eligible to apply for a tourist visa online. This will let you stay for 3 months in Australia. See www.eta.immi.gov.au for more information.

20. Can I extend my stay in Australia? 

Provided your current visa is not subject to a 'No Further Stay' condition, you can extend your visa. You need to apply for a new visa before the old one finishes.

21. Do Australian residence students have to pay tuition fees?

Yes. Private colleges receive no government funding. All students are required to pay fees to contribute to the college’s tuition and facilities.

22. When can I begin my course? 

For business courses start dates are almost every 5 weeks. You may start your English course on any Monday during the year (except public holidays).

23. Can I have holidays? 

If you are studying a Business course, you are allowed a 3 week break between 10 week terms. 
If you are studying an English course, you will only be allowed to have holidays if you let us know of the specific period at the time of enrolment ONLY. This will then be put at the end of your study (there is no refund).

24. Will I receive a college student ID card? 

On your first day at our college at Orientation, you will receive your student ID card during Orientation. You can use your student card for getting student discounts on entry to cinemas, theatres, museums, aquariums, art galleries etc. but not public transport.

25. Can the college help me open a bank account?

Yes. We will provide you with a letter. The letter states that you are enrolled as a student at our college and includes your name, address in Sydney, date of birth, and dates and length of course. You will need to take this letter along with any other documents needed.

26. What should I do if I get sick and need to go to the doctor?

There are several medical centers in the Sydney CBD, near the college. Yellow Pages directories have a complete list of doctors in Sydney. If you want a doctor who speaks your own language, you can contact your country's embassy, consulate or diplomatic mission in Australia. They can help you in your language and refer you to the appropriate for more info http://www.dfat.gov.au/embassies.html.

27. Can I get student concessions on transport (buses, trains, ferries etc.)?

No, student visa holders do not get concessions on transport.

28. What can I do in my spare-time? 

Sydney offers great experiences and tourist attractions many of them within walking distance of your college.  You are sure to find lots of interests in Sydney. For more info visit www.citysearch.com.au.  Attractions such as Darling Harbour, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House are only a short walk from the College.

29. How much money do I need per month to cover living expenses?

Students usually need $A1500 - $A2000 per month to cover accommodation, transport, food, clothes and entertainment options like going to the cinema, etc. This does not include airfares, health insurance and tuition fees.

30. What's the weather like in Sydney? 

Summer (December - February), Autumn (March - May), Winter (June - August) and Spring (September - November).  Generally Sydney weather is good all year round. For the current weather conditions in Australia, check out http://weather.ninemsn.com.au/weather/.

31. Can I use Internet services at your college? 

Yes, you can. There is no charge for this.

32. What are the classrooms facilities like? 

At our college it is a comfortable learning environment, and all classrooms, computer labs and other facilities are air-conditioned.

33. Who are the teachers/trainers/staff at your college? 

The strength of our college is our team of teachers, trainers & administration/marketing staff, who have experience in their fields. Our English teachers are all qualified professionals with many years of experience teaching English to international students.

34. How can I pay my fees? 

Payment can be made to the college through the following methods:

•         Direct Deposit into our bank account. 
•         Telegraphic Transfer- Transfer of fees from Overseas bank account to bank account 
•         Credit Card- Payment by either Visa, Mastercard, or Bankcard 
•         Bank draft or bank cheque. Please make cheques payable as listed on the bank fees document

35. Is my tuition fees secure? 

Yes. As soon as you pay your tuition fees they are held in a trust account until you start the course.

36. Can I study part-time? 

Only if you are a non-student visa holder.

37. Can I bring my family with me? 

If your course is 2 months or more, most visas allow international students to bring their family to Australia as their dependents. Family members include your spouse, and you and your spouse's dependent children. If you are planning to bring your dependents with you to Australia, there are specific arrangements for your family visas and living arrangements. You will also need to budget your living costs accordingly. Visit the www.immi.gov.au/students/students/bringing_family/index.htm page on the Australian Immigration website.

38. Do I have to pay overseas student health cover? 

Australian Government regulations state: 
'It is a condition of the grant of your Overseas Student Visa that you have acceptable health insurance cover during the whole time you are in Australia.' To be covered for health insurance, you will need to pay the Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC) when you accept our offer to join our college. The college will pay health cover on your behalf. You include this as part of your fees payment to the college.  For more info go to www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/publishing.nsf/content/health-privatehealth-providers-oscover.htm.

39. Can I change my visa when I am in Australia? 

Yes you can. Visit the www.immi.gov.au for more information.

40. Can I leave Australia and re-enter? 

Your visa has been granted for multiple entries. You can leave Australia and re-enter using this visa, as long as it is valid.

41. How do I apply for a student visa? 

You will first need to complete the Mercury application form. Upon approval of your application, we will issue an offer letter which will indicate the course, and the fees to be paid. You must then pay the fees indicated as well as the OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover). Upon receipt of payment, we will issue you with a COE (Confirmation of Enrolment) which you can then use to apply for a student visa at the Australian Consulate General. You will also be asked to provide a medical report signed by the Australian Consulate General approved panel of doctors. For more Visa information go to www.immi.gov.au

42. What are the nationalities of your students? 

We are currently enrolling students from all parts of the world. We participate in exhibitions across the world attracting many countries to our college. Currently we have students from South America (Chile, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela & Brazil); from North America (Mexico); from the Middle East (Jordan); South Asia (India, Pakistan, Nepal & Bangladesh); East Asia (Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and the Philippines); and from Europe (Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Hungary, Greece, Slovakia, Italy, Spain and the Czech Republic).

43. What is Sydney's time difference?

Standard Time GMT + 10

44. Can I apply for a student visa online? 

Yes you may be eligible to apply, visit www.immi.gov/e_visa/index.htm website for more information.

If you have any other questions please email us on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Contact Info

  • Level 1 & 2 Anzac House, 245 Castlereagh St. NSW 2000
  • +612 8211 1128
  • info@mercurycolleges.nsw.edu.au
  • Contact Us
  • Find on Map

Copyright © 2014 Trivision Consulting

Mercury Colleges Pty Ltd trading as Mercury Colleges

ABN: 55 001 799 891 │ CRICOS Provider No: 00172B │ National Provider No: 0872